Skip to main content

My Take on Christmas

Christmas is one of those seasons where it conjures up so many different feelings within people. Some people absolutely love it and can’t remember it being anything but amazing. Others really hate pretty much everything about it. Feel it has become about presents and lost its meaning as a celebratory day about Jesus being born. For many it reminds them of loved ones they have lost and for even more it can highlight family feuds because that chair around the table is empty.

For me it is a little bit of all of these factors if I am honest. I come from a very unconventional family setting and Christmas for years has been the hardest time of year. I have great, amazing memories blended with an awful lot of heavy, sad moments. I don’t exactly get that personal present from parents or a partner that I have been hinting I want. I don’t get to sit with my mum and share it with her, my dad or family I grew up with for that matter. When we gather around the table I always have had a slight ping in my heart as I am the odd one out. For years I have celebrated it, smiling and truly having happy moments but as soon as my head hits that pillow I have cried my eyes out! I have felt such sadness I genuinely thought my heart was going to explode. Always wishing deep down that the new year would make up for it!
However this year was different. I still was the odd one out, I still couldn’t celebrate it with my mother, father, family I grew up with or the lady that had the biggest influence on my life, and selfishly I still didn’t get that “personal present” but what I got this year was as corny as it comes! I got peace and acceptance over it all. I finally saw Christmas for what it is.

It isn’t actually about a tick list. It isn’t about standardised ideas such as eating, drinking, present swapping, going to church and celebrating Jesus! I know I probably am upsetting an awful lot of people saying this but I fully appreciate that Christmas was originally about the birth of Jesus Christ (hence the whole Christmas) however people change, so do the times. I truly believe Christmas is a season to truly appreciate what you have. So what, if you are the odd one out. There will always be a place that welcomes you and there will always be people willing to share their Christmas with you but the trick is, you have to accept it and you have to see that the fact people are willing to share this season is just as magical as having your own! That the empty chair at this season isn’t the worst thing as this time of year is an acceptable time to really celebrate their memory and if you want to get tipsy and toast to them so do it! This is the season where you can become selfish to really get or make people what you want to say thank you for everything they have done for you and if you aren't sure if Christianity is for you what a perfect time to actually go to church without the fear for people perhaps looking at you funny. I was raised as Christian as they come and I went to church Christmas morning and I didn't agree with half the things the pastor preached about, but I did agree with the fact that he said this is the season to party in your own way and celebrate. I believe there is a higher power but I am not willing to label it one god or another and therefore I thank the Christian religion for this time of year and for showing me how to be grateful for what I have. Yeah it isn't this standardised image of what the world labels Christmas or what the church would like me to uphold but I do thank them for this season. Equally I thank the Buddhist religion for a lesson I try and uphold which is that most the stress we have in our lives is determined by our own materialised need for more. Hence my reasoning for not being one or the other, but I am not going to be ignorant and forget that this special time of year would not be upheld if the church and Christianity wouldn't remind us that we are here on earth by one way or another. 

So thank you!

Hence I will continue to fully appreciate the next few weeks. I will appreciate that sometimes Christmas simply sucks but then it is up to me to see the hidden blessings within the season, stop and look around and actually see how incredibly lucky I am! I might not have what I deep down think it is I should have but I have something secretly even bigger! I have friends and “family” that open their arms heartfully and let me share Christmas with them! And you know what! I am accepting it and perhaps one day naturally that will become the norm for me! It’s all about the mindset at the end of the day!

So much love to everyone this Christmas and all the Christmases to come!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Circle of life

I remember her calling me down from a tree. I was angry! I was so angry that I tried to run away. I ran as far as the tree outside. I climbed it in my skirt. Noone had noticed how upset I was. So I thought. She did. She yoodled and sang for me to laugh at her. It worked. She knew where I was. She kind of always did. She often ignored my tantrums. Let me get on with it I suppose. But for some reason with me she knew when it got too much. She simply said – running away is only a temporary fix. Why not come back down to earth and deal with it one step at a time with love in your heart. She wasn’t always fair or nice but she treated me with care and good advice. She liked her red wine and the funny thing it actually made her fine. I miss her with every heart beat, one day hope I her again will meet. In heaven or in devon I don’t mind, as long as like her, I can be kind. Anna why did you have to die, it fills me with a great big sigh! I miss you more than you will ever know, More

Playing....

I never thought I played games, don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVE board games and monopoly the card game version but I'm talking about games of the heart, mind and soul. The type of games we can play when we are vulnerable to being vulnerable. When we need other people's approval, or don't love ourselves enough we require other people's attention to make us feel better. I never thought I did that more than normal, as we are all human and make those type of mistakes but I genuinely thought I was quite good at not playing games like that. Yeah I was wrong! I have had life challenge me with near deaths and deaths around me really affecting my world lately so I decided to go away for a few days and get my head straight. What I wasn't counting on was going away and straightening out my heart! I came back and realised I as a dater I am rubbish! I go hot and cold, I can be ridic sceptical and then throw them right off by being super duper much fun and actually

Need a push?

Today I saw something amazing!  We are so quick to point out what is wrong in the world and how horrid people can be especially teenagers that we often miss the sense of community that is all around us! At lunch I was walking in a real rush back to the office after having picked up a birthday present for a friend of mine when I saw a little old man pushing what I can only assume to be his wife in a wheel chair. It looked as if he was struggling to get his missus up the hill so I went to cross the road to help but I was beaten to the post by a lovely young man that looked no older than 21.  He approached the man and his wife and asked if they needed a hand. The old man looked so reliefed and happy that he took the young lad up on the offer. This said gentleman pushed the old man's wife up the hill and than smiled, wished the two of them a good day and walked on. The older couple turned into their home and you could see they were definitely ready for a cuppa and a toasted tea c