Skip to main content

Skeptilism


I have invented a new Word!! Skeptilism!! That is what I had before coming out here! Don´t get me wrong! I won´t completely become naive and believe everyone is trustworthy but I will wait a bit longer before thinking everyone is out to get you! It basically started on Monday. I was invited by this Costa Rican Old man to come and meet his family and stop over for coffee. I noticed they sold furniture so I thought yeah why not learn a bit more Spanish and see what they would sell me. After work on the Tuesday I go round fully prepared with my little pocket book dictionary and had practiced how to say sorry but I won´t be buying anything! I was welcomed with a FAT hug and smiley faces all around and a bathtub of coffee and several  cakes. We chatted about the weather (what is it about the weather that is so universal that it is the perfect chit chat topic!!) I in my basic Spanish told them about Iceland and England. They couldn´t get their head around the fact I was working for free on a working holiday and they told me about their lives. As I was about to leave one of the ladies walks into this room and I swear I thought here comes the sales pitch but no how wrong was I! She came out with earrings and a home made coffee bean candle and gave to me! It was amazing. They have so much less than me and yet I left with home made earrings and a candle! They didn´t even once try and sell me a thing! And today their friend gave me a pen stand she had hand made for me since meeting me! It never stops! And the neighbor next house down has invited us for coffee as well! My faith in people has now been restored and I won´t be so quick to be skeptical! (Unless it´s business!! Haha J )
Since I last spoke to you all I have been to La Fortuna and done zip wiring, upside down and flying as superman through the jungle and seen the big Volcano, I have seen wild crocodiles, turtles, green little parrots, big massive red parrots, and massive butterflies, been to another beach and stayed awake!! I have got drunk with Emma, Louisa and Jack in the park and gone to the most random nightclub where I made friends with the only gay in the village (and OMG he was hot!) I couldn´t turn him! What a shame! J  Been apart of an English class lesson and helped out, played snooker with Jack to try and cheer him up as his nan isn´t very well – sending fat love to his family! And been to a typical Costa Rican sweaty bar where we were served a dish of food with each drink!! And eaten with the host family whilst Emma and Jack went to the cinema proppa CR food (had to eat it with my fingers) and do a shot of tequila and costa rican vodka. So plenty of experiences in one week!  
St Louie left this week and it has been so much quieter on the building site – We miss you Pizza girl! But there is a new girl from Oz joining us on Tuesday and I can´t wait! We also have journalists arriving from the Independent that same day to interview us about the job we are doing. Don´t worry Chris and Linda. I will wear my Garmin top and give you free publicity! J
The house is getting on. Everything handmade – still no machines other than a metal grinder, hammers, tweezers and shovels! The shape has taken place and we are starting on the walls on Monday. I was on my own at work today and it was so funny trying to speak to the builders but we put the radio on and danced and sang. Three little kids came and joined in! I then went on a little wonder on my own at lunch and the generosity of the Costa Rican people continued. I was spoken to by a new person every five minutes and given hugs and smiles on route. I returned to work after finding a whole new part to San Ramon armed with Ice coffee for the builders and allowed to go home early. I took the opportunity to walk a different way home. I got lost and found this awesome little street where the people were all out on the street having a little fiesta. I walked past a river and decided to walk along it. My fifth step in I heard a little snake slither away! I have never walked so fast in my life! But if that hadn´t have happened I wouldn´t have looked down and seen wild tomatoes growing! IT was the most bizarre thing to see! Tomatoes growing wild!! Everything we buy in Homebase grows wild here from cactus to peace lilies to tomato plants! It is amazing. I also so a yellow house with a yellow jeep parked outside and I considered knocking on the door and asking the guy who owned it to marry me!
It all made me appreciate this thing called life! I once heard there is no foreign land but only a foreigner. This is so true and I will now walk around my own country as a foreigner and without the arrogance that I know the place because I live there. It is so true the expression of wake up and smell the coffee! So many of us walk around half asleep we simply drink the coffee and don´t take a minute or two to smell the aromas and enjoy it. It is simply apart of the daily routine but I know for a fact if I was to make a bit more effort to look around me at home I would take far more enjoyment out of each day! I have learnt more about myself in three weeks than I have in the last ten years and it is a life worth living to the fullest and enjoying as a tourist wherever I go me thinks! J.
Pura Vida – hasta luego
Oddny
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Circle of life

I remember her calling me down from a tree. I was angry! I was so angry that I tried to run away. I ran as far as the tree outside. I climbed it in my skirt. Noone had noticed how upset I was. So I thought. She did. She yoodled and sang for me to laugh at her. It worked. She knew where I was. She kind of always did. She often ignored my tantrums. Let me get on with it I suppose. But for some reason with me she knew when it got too much. She simply said – running away is only a temporary fix. Why not come back down to earth and deal with it one step at a time with love in your heart. She wasn’t always fair or nice but she treated me with care and good advice. She liked her red wine and the funny thing it actually made her fine. I miss her with every heart beat, one day hope I her again will meet. In heaven or in devon I don’t mind, as long as like her, I can be kind. Anna why did you have to die, it fills me with a great big sigh! I miss you more than you will ever know, More

Playing....

I never thought I played games, don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVE board games and monopoly the card game version but I'm talking about games of the heart, mind and soul. The type of games we can play when we are vulnerable to being vulnerable. When we need other people's approval, or don't love ourselves enough we require other people's attention to make us feel better. I never thought I did that more than normal, as we are all human and make those type of mistakes but I genuinely thought I was quite good at not playing games like that. Yeah I was wrong! I have had life challenge me with near deaths and deaths around me really affecting my world lately so I decided to go away for a few days and get my head straight. What I wasn't counting on was going away and straightening out my heart! I came back and realised I as a dater I am rubbish! I go hot and cold, I can be ridic sceptical and then throw them right off by being super duper much fun and actually

Need a push?

Today I saw something amazing!  We are so quick to point out what is wrong in the world and how horrid people can be especially teenagers that we often miss the sense of community that is all around us! At lunch I was walking in a real rush back to the office after having picked up a birthday present for a friend of mine when I saw a little old man pushing what I can only assume to be his wife in a wheel chair. It looked as if he was struggling to get his missus up the hill so I went to cross the road to help but I was beaten to the post by a lovely young man that looked no older than 21.  He approached the man and his wife and asked if they needed a hand. The old man looked so reliefed and happy that he took the young lad up on the offer. This said gentleman pushed the old man's wife up the hill and than smiled, wished the two of them a good day and walked on. The older couple turned into their home and you could see they were definitely ready for a cuppa and a toasted tea c